THE REAL SKINNY... ON HEALTH & NUTRITION IN AMERICA

Welcome to The Real Skinny... where I will dissect some of the myths surrounding the health, nutrition, food & fitness industries in the United States. I started this blog because I am exasperated by all of the misinformation and propaganda we are fed (pun intended) by the government and the mainstream media about our food supply and the fitness industry here in the U.S.

Like many of you, I have long considered myself to be a healthy person. I regularly followed the advice of so-called experts in the nutrition fitness industries about the latest diets and exercise regimens. I exercised almost every day - sometimes for several hours at a time – and I ate what most people consider to be a very healthy diet. I always ate whole grains, low fat dairy, veggies, fruit and lean meats. I counted “calories in” vs. “calories out” religiously. Despite all of my efforts, I was still plagued with a host of issues including excess body fat. My frustration with this predicament – some might call it my obsession – led me to dig a little deeper into the nutrition/health advice I was getting.

My research began with a few magazine articles and websites. Gradually, as I did more independent research, I started to believe strongly that much of what passes for mainstream thinking on nutrition and fitness is complete nonsense. I now spend a big chunk of my free time reading everything I can on this topic – and the more research I do, the more convinced I am.

I am not big on conspiracy theories. I don’t think the CIA introduced crack cocaine into the inner city, and I don’t think George Bush had a heads-up about 9-11. But I have come to believe that the federal government and the agribusiness community have so dominated the debate on this issue that the American people are not exposed to any other line of thinking. And where has this gotten us? Americans are unhealthier and more overweight than ever.

I would like to share some of these concerns with a wider audience outside of family and friends - the poor souls who have already been subjected to my rants these past few years. For their sake and yours, I decided to take my rants to the masses. I look forward to sharing some of what I learn along the way as I attempt to educate myself and anyone who will listen about what it truly means to be healthy in America.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Sugar is STILL the Devil!

Anyone else out there break into the Easter basket this weekend? Perhaps, like me, you had a few too many treats and not enough greens. Given all the chocolate bunnies, eggs, jellybeans and peeps still hanging around this day after Easter, I thought I would explain again why I like to say that sugar is the devil!

Last week, in case you missed it, 60 Minutes aired a report entitled “Is Sugar Toxic?” I highly recommend you watch the brief 14 minute video if you haven’t done so already.
In the piece, they interview several doctors and scientists, including Dr. Lustig from the University of California of San Francisco. You might recall that I shared a lecture by Dr. Lustig with you in my first ever blog post titled (no surprise here) “Sugar Is the Devil.”

The 60 Minutes story reinforced many things I’ve been talking about for some time. The piece is full of hard evidence, and touts some breakthrough research being done that proves sugar is much worse than previously thought.  As you know, I think excessive sugar consumption is one of the main causes of obesity, diabetes, cancer and heart disease. And the really scary thing about sugar is that it is not just in sweets – it’s in practically every processed food we Americans eat -- including bread, yogurt, salad dressing and more.

How did we end up with all this sugar in our food? In the 1970’s, some not-so-smart politicians used the partial results of one study that linked dietary fat to an increase in heart disease to make the case for an enormous reduction of dietary fat in the American diet. Unfortunately for us, this faulty study ultimately led to a government mandate to reduce fat and thus began our obsession with the low-fat diet.

As the 60 Minutes piece proves, this grand experiment has been a colossal failure. You see, when food manufacturers started cutting out the fat, the food didn’t taste very good. They had to replace the fat with something and they chose…wait for it…SUGAR! Now we know what happens to all that extra sugar.  First of all, your body stores excess sugar as fat – but not all of it.  Some of that excess sugar gets into your bloodstream, where it turns into artery-clogging cholesterol.  We also know that sugar is addictive, much like heroin or cocaine.  (Yes, you read that correctly.)  Your body craves it in ever-greater quantities. 

Fast-forward almost 40 years and here we are… fatter and sicker than ever.

So what can you do about it? Well, in the near term, you can put down what’s left of that chocolate bunny and you can start to eat mostly real whole foods. Sugar in its natural state is nothing like the refined stuff you get in sodas or muffins, and even seemingly healthy foods like granola bars and nutrition shakes are loaded with sugar. Start slow if you have to.  Try to replace one snack each day with a piece of fruit.  That’s not a big sacrifice but it can have major results.  If you work to eliminate processed foods from your diet you will go a long way toward preventing a whole host of illnesses and diseases.

I’m not saying that you can never enjoy your favorite sweets again – you just have to be aware of the amounts of sugar you are getting from just about everything else you are eating these days. If you stick to meats, veggies and fruit the majority of time, you won’t have to worry about an occasional indulgence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment