THE REAL SKINNY... ON HEALTH & NUTRITION IN AMERICA

Welcome to The Real Skinny... where I will dissect some of the myths surrounding the health, nutrition, food & fitness industries in the United States. I started this blog because I am exasperated by all of the misinformation and propaganda we are fed (pun intended) by the government and the mainstream media about our food supply and the fitness industry here in the U.S.

Like many of you, I have long considered myself to be a healthy person. I regularly followed the advice of so-called experts in the nutrition fitness industries about the latest diets and exercise regimens. I exercised almost every day - sometimes for several hours at a time – and I ate what most people consider to be a very healthy diet. I always ate whole grains, low fat dairy, veggies, fruit and lean meats. I counted “calories in” vs. “calories out” religiously. Despite all of my efforts, I was still plagued with a host of issues including excess body fat. My frustration with this predicament – some might call it my obsession – led me to dig a little deeper into the nutrition/health advice I was getting.

My research began with a few magazine articles and websites. Gradually, as I did more independent research, I started to believe strongly that much of what passes for mainstream thinking on nutrition and fitness is complete nonsense. I now spend a big chunk of my free time reading everything I can on this topic – and the more research I do, the more convinced I am.

I am not big on conspiracy theories. I don’t think the CIA introduced crack cocaine into the inner city, and I don’t think George Bush had a heads-up about 9-11. But I have come to believe that the federal government and the agribusiness community have so dominated the debate on this issue that the American people are not exposed to any other line of thinking. And where has this gotten us? Americans are unhealthier and more overweight than ever.

I would like to share some of these concerns with a wider audience outside of family and friends - the poor souls who have already been subjected to my rants these past few years. For their sake and yours, I decided to take my rants to the masses. I look forward to sharing some of what I learn along the way as I attempt to educate myself and anyone who will listen about what it truly means to be healthy in America.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Bacon Brussel Sprouts

Doesn’t this time of year make you want to eat some comfort food?  As weather cools down, I like to trade-in my favorite summer salads in exchange for some hearty roasted veggies. Last night it was broccoli, the night before that it was squash and peppers, and tonight it is going to be brussel sprouts!

We might not always think of vegetables as comfort food, but when you prepare them well, they will definitely hit the spot. Many of us should make it a habit to use vegetables to replace some of what I consider to be “fattening” side dishes like potatoes, pasta and rice. 


One of my favorite veggies is brussel sprouts.  People complain that brussel sprouts are too bitter, but don’t believe it.  Any bitterness can be easily fixed!
One of my favorite ways to prepare brussel sprouts is to serve them with bacon… Thank goodness the purported bacon shortage was all just a bunch of hogwash and we don’t have to hoard our little strips of heaven. And please don’t fret - adding bacon to your veggies will not turn an otherwise healthy dish into a fattening artery clogging time bomb like you have been led to believe. Bacon is actually the “good” fat that our body needs and craves.  It really will just make your meals better and maybe even “comforting” too!

Recipe: Harmony’s Roasted Bacon Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients:

  • Brussel Sprouts (enough to serve four)
  • Bacon – 6 strips
  • Olive Oil – 2 Tablespoons
  • Cracked Pepper
  • Sea Salt
  • Garlic Powder
Instructions:
1.)    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.)    Bring water to a boil in large pot.
3.)    Add brussel sprouts to boiling water and cook for 8 minutes.
4.)    Strain brussel sprouts (let cool briefly) and cut sprouts in half.
5.)    Arrange brussel sprouts on baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on sprouts. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty – toss the sprouts with the oil to spread evenly.
6.)    Sprinkle with cracked pepper, sea salt and garlic powder (I use plenty of pepper and garlic powder so don’t hold back).
7.)    Roast brussel sprouts for 20-25 minutes depending on how brown you like them.
8.)    While the sprouts are roasting, cook bacon to your likeness and set aside, leaving the bacon drippings in the pan.
9.)    Remove brussel sprouts from the oven and immediately toss the sprouts with the bacon drippings and small pieces of bacon.
10.)                        Serve warm and enjoy!

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 4
 

1 comment: