THE REAL SKINNY... ON HEALTH & NUTRITION IN AMERICA

Welcome to The Real Skinny... where I will dissect some of the myths surrounding the health, nutrition, food & fitness industries in the United States. I started this blog because I am exasperated by all of the misinformation and propaganda we are fed (pun intended) by the government and the mainstream media about our food supply and the fitness industry here in the U.S.

Like many of you, I have long considered myself to be a healthy person. I regularly followed the advice of so-called experts in the nutrition fitness industries about the latest diets and exercise regimens. I exercised almost every day - sometimes for several hours at a time – and I ate what most people consider to be a very healthy diet. I always ate whole grains, low fat dairy, veggies, fruit and lean meats. I counted “calories in” vs. “calories out” religiously. Despite all of my efforts, I was still plagued with a host of issues including excess body fat. My frustration with this predicament – some might call it my obsession – led me to dig a little deeper into the nutrition/health advice I was getting.

My research began with a few magazine articles and websites. Gradually, as I did more independent research, I started to believe strongly that much of what passes for mainstream thinking on nutrition and fitness is complete nonsense. I now spend a big chunk of my free time reading everything I can on this topic – and the more research I do, the more convinced I am.

I am not big on conspiracy theories. I don’t think the CIA introduced crack cocaine into the inner city, and I don’t think George Bush had a heads-up about 9-11. But I have come to believe that the federal government and the agribusiness community have so dominated the debate on this issue that the American people are not exposed to any other line of thinking. And where has this gotten us? Americans are unhealthier and more overweight than ever.

I would like to share some of these concerns with a wider audience outside of family and friends - the poor souls who have already been subjected to my rants these past few years. For their sake and yours, I decided to take my rants to the masses. I look forward to sharing some of what I learn along the way as I attempt to educate myself and anyone who will listen about what it truly means to be healthy in America.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Why Raw Milk?

Raw or “unpasteurized” milk has been on my mind a lot lately. The truth is I don’t even drink milk anymore. Aside from my love for cheese and my occasional indulgence in it, I have pretty much cut out all dairy since I discovered a few years back that dairy was actually causing what I thought were seasonal allergies. I had spent thousands of dollars on allergy medication for a decade, and I didn’t even have traditional allergies. I literally took Allegra D everyday for ten years! How’s that for a swift kick in the purse?

As you can imagine, I was not super happy when I discovered that dairy was causing my so-called “allergies.” Not only was I a big fan of my daily bowl of cereal with milk, but I absolutely LOVE cheese! I was mourning the loss of cheese in my life when someone suggested I try raw milk products, preferably from goats or sheep. These products can be hard to find, but some of the higher end grocers like Whole Foods carry a very limited amount, typically imported from overseas. When I tried some, I didn’t feel nearly the same allergy-like effects. I began to look into buying raw milk itself. Turns out, I cannot buy it legally. I’m not talking about cocaine here folks, I’m talking about milk. It is illegal for me to buy it in its natural and purest form.

Why, you ask? Apparently, my state, along with the federal government, has determined that it is not safe for me to consume. Apparently, food bureaucrats from Sacramento to Washington, DC know what kind of milk is best for me. I’m sorry, but I actually think I should have the right to drink whatever kind of milk I choose.

Why would I want to drink raw milk? Many people believe it’s a lot better than the pasteurized version. During the pasteurization process, the milk is heated up in such a manner so as to kill all bacteria. Unfortunately, it also kills all of the beneficial bacteria, good enzymes and protein that make milk worth drinking in the first place. As an aside, almost all drinks including milk and juice consumed in the U.S. are pasteurized in much the same way, making it nearly impossible to buy anything unpasteurized in America.

Back to the issue at hand… Raw milk cannot be bought or sold in most states here in the U.S. Some people get around this by actually buying a “share” of a cow, and actually getting raw milk directly from the cow. Now there’s a practical solution for most people! Who has the time to drive to a dairy farm every week to pick up your milk? And if it’s so good for you, why shouldn’t it be available to the masses if they choose to consume it? I’ll tell you why – because the big dairy factories don’t want the word to get out that maybe the so-called farmed-fresh milk they’ve been pedaling all these years isn’t really so beneficial to you after all. The big dairies have to pasteurize their product because there is a much larger risk of contamination when it has to go through so many steps to get to the consumer. But a local farmer could sell his product to local customers with virtually no risk to the consumer.  

Even if I believed all the hype and decided there was a potential risk to me, shouldn’t I be able to assume this risk if I choose that the benefits outweigh the risks? Furthermore, why should I trust the government to make this decision for me – especially when it comes to food? They regularly deem foods edible that are entirely unnatural and have zero nutritional value. I can’t buy raw milk but I can buy all the Twinkies, Devil Dog’s and Frito’s I want. I have trouble understanding how we get the thumbs-up from Washington on diabetes ticking time bombs like this, yet we are breaking the law if we buy raw milk. This is Nanny State paternalism run-amok.  
What can we, as consumers, do about this sorry state of affairs? We can encourage our Members of Congress to co-sponsor a bill that was introduced by Congressman Ron Paul (TX-14). H.R. 1830 would make the interstate traffic of unpasteurized milk legal. Sounds good to me – unfortunately, this bill has exactly one co-sponsor. But we can change that…

We need to get the word out – this bill is a great example for politicians who complain about threats to our personal liberties and advocate more personal responsibility. I believe that this message will resonate with both parties because it resonates with their constituents – you know, the all important CONSUMERS, people like us. Use your voice and advocate for your right to healthy and nutritious food.

1 comment:

  1. Raw milk should be available to us, much like the trans fat they took away. It bothers me as well that the gov't has decided what is good for me.

    You may be able to get that from the Amish, as I don't believe they are govt. regulated...I will ask my sister who does get it several times a year. (and forward your blog) EJ is very, very informative of this subject!

    Also, this whole milk and allergy denial bothers me greatly. There are those of us that truly believe that milk can cause acne in the form of an allergy. However asking several Dermatologist has left me thinking that they are part of the overall problem as well.

    My sister is allergic to milk and it will cause cystic acne, (the worst). After spending tons of money and even going the Accutane way, an esthetician suggested she give up dairy for 30 days, and that did the trick.

    It seems we have been taught to take the gov'ts word or the dr.s word without even thinking for ourselves.

    Thanks for an informative post1

    ReplyDelete